An Post welcomes AIB announcement
19 July 2022
- Move drives An Post strategy on delivering everyday banking to local communities
- Welcome for further deepening of 20-year partnership
- Services available in c920 post offices nationwide
- Bank customers have full access to post office network
An Post has welcomed today’s announcement from AIB which builds on its 20-year partnership with the bank to offer greater choice to customers in accessing everyday banking through the country’s post offices.
A further deepening of the long-standing relationship between An Post and AIB will allow bank customers throughout the country to do more of their business in the local post office.
Benefits to customers using the post office include extended opening hours, and Saturday opening across the national post office network.
Managing Director of Retail at An Post, Debbie Byrne said “An Post welcomes the strengthening of our relationship with AIB. We are delighted to partner with it, providing everyday banking services to AIB customers, six days a week, across our national post office network.
Our network of c. 920 post offices are intrinsic to the financial and social fabric of Ireland. The positive impact of this enhanced partnership recognises the needs of local communities and helps underpin the future sustainability of the network as we continue to innovate and re-imagine the role of the post office in communities into the future.”
An Post continues its transformation involving the renewal and development of the Post Office network and the expansion of new services built around 4 key growth pillars.
- Community Banking for all – diversifying and growing financial service products for consumers and SMEs through An Post Money, Travel Money, partnerships with AIB and Bank of Ireland and a range of State Savings products
- E-Commerce enablement – making online shopping easier with parcel and mail services including out-of-hours collections, returns, tracking, payments and redirections for consumers and small business owners
- One-Stop-Shop for Government Services – expanded range of local and central government services making it easier for citizens to interact with the State and to support the Government’s ambition within the National Digital Strategy.
- Other new services and expanding the range of services we provide such as Leap Card top ups, Green Hub, Gifting.
Community Banking is key to the future of the post office. An Post has stepped forward to become the main provider of financial services in many parts of the country. Never has the local post office been better placed as both a resource and a focus for renewal. Some 540 of our post offices are situated in parts of the country without any bank within a 5km radius.
An Post provides a comprehensive range of financial services. We also have a long history of providing agency banking services for several leading banks. This currently involves more than 4 million transactions through post offices with a value of over €1.3bn.
An Post recently extended our agency banking services to include customers of Bank of Ireland across the country.
Further information on An Post’s wide range of everyday banking services is available at the local post office or online at anpost.com/everydaybanking
A national campaign, with the message ‘Your bank is in your local post office’ is underway nationwide. The campaign will underline the importance of the post office in delivering everyday banking to local business and individual customers.