Skip to main content

Moving house? Make sure your mail moves with you

If you’re moving house, you’ll want to make sure your mail goes too. Our mail redirection service will forward your post and parcels to your new address, for up to a year, whether it’s at home or abroad.

Make sure to return your application, along with the appropriate payment, at least five days before you want the service to start.

How it works

Get your mail redirected to your new home. Set upactivate or renew a redirection online or at your local  post office.

Completed application forms should be posted to: An Post Redirection Unit, General Post Office, O'Connell Street Lower, Freepost, Dublin 1, D01 F5P2.

Once we receive your signed application form, we will send you a notification letter with a PIN Number and login information. You will need to activate the redirection for the service to begin.

What it costs

The cost of redirection depends on how long you require the service and whether you are redirecting to an Irish address or overseas. The following charges apply:


Residential in Ireland

Fee per redirection

Residential Abroad

Fee per redirection

Up to one month



Up to three months



Up to six months



Up to 12 months



If you are paying by debit or credit card, the name on the card must match the name of at least one of the individuals having mail redirected.

Things to know

How do I renew an existing redirection?

You can renew an existing redirection online provided there are at least three working days, and no more than 21 calendar days, before the expiry date. To renew a redirection, just:

  • Enter the redirection reference number and your PIN number
  • Select the duration of the extension period for the redirection
  • Confirm the redirection and pay
  • Receive confirmation by email once payment is successful

How do I cancel the redirection service?

To cancel a redirection service, please write to: An Post Redirection Unit, General Post Office, O’Connell Street Lower, Freepost, Dublin 1, D01 F5P2.

What do I do if I lose my reference number?

If you lose your reference number, we can resend it to you. Just enter the email address you used to set up your redirection and we’ll send it to that address.

Do I need ID to arrange redirection?

You will need proof of identity and proof of address if you are applying at the post office. We accept driving licences, passports, employer photo ID or student photo ID from third level colleges as proof of identify.

A utility bill or bank or building society statement, issued within the last five months and bearing the address mail is to be redirected from, will be accepted as proof of address.