Step 1: Wake up and unlock your Android phone
Turn on your phone screen, and then unlock your phone. You do not need to open the Google Pay app.
Step 2: Hold the back of your phone close to the payment reader for a few seconds
When you’re done paying, a blue check mark will appear on the screen.
If the check mark isn’t on your screen:
- Try holding your phone in a different way. Your near-field communication (NFC) antenna could be near the top or bottom of your device.
- Hold your phone closer to the payment reader.
- Hold your phone for a few extra seconds.
If there is a check mark but the cashier says the payment didn’t work:
- Double-check that the store accepts mobile payments.
- Contact your bank to make sure your card is working right.
Step 3: If prompted, follow the instructions on the screen
Some stores use older software that asks for a PIN or signature. If you’re asked, follow the steps on the screen.
- Debit cards: Enter the PIN you set up with your bank. This PIN is different from the PIN you use to unlock your device.
- Credit cards: For larger transactions, sign the receipt or the signature box on the screen.