Head of Internal Audit
Internal Audit is responsible for the provision of internal audit services covering An Post and its subsidiary and associated companies. Internal Audit is expected to add value to the business and is required to comply with the provisions contained in the Code of Practice for the Governance of State Bodies issued by the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform in 2016.
This is a senior management position reporting independently to the Board Audit and Risk Committee and administratively to the CEO.
The primary purpose of the role is to implement best practice audit procedures in line with industry standards (e.g. Chartered Institute of Internal Auditors) in order to protect the company’s interests, and ensure all relevant statutory and fiduciary requirements are met.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Prepare and implement a rolling multi-annual risk based Group Internal Audit Plan, following consultation with the CEO and the Audit and Risk (A&R) Committee.Adjust the plan, as appropriate and when necessary, following discussion / approval from the CEO and A&R Committee.
- Ensure the Audit Plan is prepared based on thorough risk assessments and consideration of other available sources of assurance.
- Lead and develop a lean and fit for purpose Internal Audit team of motivated audit professionals, by managing their activities, providing feedback, and identifying & co-ordinating their ongoing training and development.
- Employ best in class and up-to-date available audit techniques such as, IT and data analytics.
- Manage relationships with key stakeholders including, senior management, the Audit and Risk Committee, and the An Post Board.
- Assist management in designing and implementing internal control systems for new services, products, systems and processes; particularly during the development stage of these products and services, etc.
- Ensure that the management of all businesses, group companies, directorates and departments implement control recommendations identified to achieve best standard internal control processes.
- Conduct investigations and special projects as requested by the Chief Executive Officer or the Board Audit and Risk Committee.
The successful candidate will:
- Preferably hold a recognised accounting/auditing qualification;
- Have a number of years relevant audit experience at a managerial level in either a practising office or in a significant commercial environment;
- Be highly motivated and a self-starter with excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Have excellent IT skills including specialist auditing and analytical software; and
- Have strong managerial and influencing skills.
The post holder will have at least 10 years’ relevant auditing experience and experience of managing and influencing others. They will have a thorough knowledge of complex accounting and information systems and related internal control systems and an excellent knowledge of modern techniques such as data analytics. They will have a track record showing progress and achievements in increasingly senior roles either in An Post or in other relevant sectors. They will have a broad knowledge of An Post’s activities, strategy and systems, and be familiar with risk management methodology. They must be familiar with cash management and security procedures, and audit inspection techniques. Teamwork, flexibility, good verbal and numerical skills are essential as well as the ability to deal assertively and professionally with colleagues and senior staff.
A critical requirement is an ability to manage relationships with key stakeholders including, senior management, Audit and Risk Committee and other An Post Board members.
Critical Competencies: (The following competencies are critical to the delivery of results and/or to superior performance in this role)
- Technical and professional knowledge
- Results orientation
- Influencing & gaining commitment
- Perseverance & resilience
- Change Management
Send detailed CV to email@example.com
or by post to
HR Services Unit
Block 2D, GPO
O’Connell Street Lower
The closing date for receipt of completed applications is Friday 29th of March.
An Post is an equal opportunities employer. We welcome suitably
qualified applicants from all sections of the community.