Geographic Information Systems Technician (GIS)
An Post GTS-6 Month temporary assignment
About the Role
An Post maintains a Central Address Database (CAD) of approx. 2 million buildings across Ireland with their geo-coordinates and various other attributes. These spatially enabled datasets combined with digital mapping and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) technology enables a range of advanced internal uses including operational planning, optimisation and asset management.
The principal accountabilities/ responsibilities associated with the role include, but are not limited to:
- Work within a team to provide specialist digital mapping technical support & data provision services.
- Maintenance of GIS datasets.
- Support the route optimisation project through data cleaning, digitising and validation.
- Ensure the production and supply of GIS datasets and mapping within schedule and to the agreed standards that are fit-for-purpose for the business.
- Write technical and end-user documentation
Knowledge and Experience:
The ideal candidate must:
- Hold a Degree qualification in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or an equivalent qualification that has GIS as a significant module within it.
- Have 1 year satisfactory relevant GIS experience.
- Have demonstrable knowledge and experience in the following areas;
- ArcGIS desktop.
- Spatial databases and database management.
- Data extraction, conversion, cleaning and analysis.
- Map design and production.
- Experience in the creation, maintenance and interrogation of spatial datasets.
- Knowledge of data quality issues, standards and metadata.
Candidates must also:
- Have strong IT and graphic skills and proven ability to present maps and documents to a high standard.
- Possess excellent problem solving and analysis skills.
- Possess strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to explain complex GIS technical concepts to non-technical users.
- Be a good team player.
- Be results orientated and be flexible in a changing environment.
(The following competencies are critical to the delivery of results and/or to superior performance in this role)
- Technical & Professional Knowledge:
- Problem solving and analytical skills
- Influencing and Gaining Commitment:
- Results Orientation:
- Commercial Awareness
About the Benefits
In addition to a highly competitive remuneration package as an An Post employee you will have access to a wide range of benefits including:
- An Post Company Medical Scheme
- Paid Maternity Leave
- Paid Paternity Leave
- An Post Pension Scheme
- On site gym, fitness classes and shower facilities
- Secure on-site bicycle parking
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Tax Saver Travel Pass
- City centre location in walking distance to all major transport services
Please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the subject line by 5.00pm sharp on Wednesday 9th September 2020.
An Post is an equal opportunity employer, celebrating diversity and championing inclusivity. If you require any reasonable accommodations to assist you in participating in the employee selection process, please simply let us know. We heartily encourage all interested parties to apply!
About An Post
An Post has successfully restructured the company into two world-class businesses, An Post Mails & Parcels and An Post Retail, each with its own management team and long-term strategy. Our Retail Business already manages more cash than any other organisation in Ireland and we will continue to diversify and grow our financial and retail services while providing a trusted gateway to government services for our customers.
We aim to re-invent the post office network so every town and major village in Ireland has a modern post office, providing the financial technology services our customers need in a cashless society. We are committed to digital transformation and brand rejuvenation so we can offer customer-centred competitive services. You are welcome to read more about our Company strategy here