Director of Distribution, An Post Retail (Level 2)
About the Role
Reporting to the Managing Director, Retail, the Director of Distribution will be responsible for defining, leading, and implementing the retail omni-channel distribution strategy and commercial plan across all distribution channels with responsibility for developing An Post’s competitive position in line with the overall retail business strategy while maximizing sales volumes, operational efficiency, profitability and service quality.
This role will drive the omni-channel strategy, sales performance, day to day operations and service quality standards across the entire An Post Retail distribution model including the Retail Network, together with the sales performance and capability of Digital Channels incorporating Online & Mobile.
As Director of Distribution, you will be responsible for defining and developing the performance standards, capability requirements, organization structures, processes and technologies required to support the accomplishment of the retail strategic and commercial objectives across our distribution channels.
The principal responsibilities associated with the role include, but are not limited to:
- Leading the development and implementation of the omni-channel retail distribution strategy across all distribution channels in line with the vision and strategy for the retail organisation.
- Leading the sales planning and performance management across all retail distribution channels including the retail network and digital channels ensuring sales and service performance are optimized, and issues and opportunities are proactively and promptly addressed.
- Working with Postmasters and the Irish Postmasters Union, build a dynamic customer focused commercial and selling capability that will deliver a radically enhanced and widened retail proposition and product portfolio.
- Leading the day-to-day operations for the retail network, addressing operational issues proactively with colleagues, and driving efficiencies through improved processes and technology solutions.
- Planning, managing and implementing the commercial transformation programme across the retail network in line with the vision and strategy for the retail organisation.
- Working with colleagues to drive the development and evolution of a class leading sales capability in our digital channels, ensuring optimal contribution to sales performance and customer service quality.
- Development and implementation of An Post’s retail proposition with co-location partners and the transformation of the existing co-location model to a dynamic and leading edge “shop-in-shop” model.
- Working closely with An Post Commerce colleagues to maximize Mails & Parcels revenue through the retail network.
- Full P&L management for the PostPoint business, a stand-alone business with turnover of €2m+ that needs to be maximized vis a via key competitor PayZone.
- Providing commercial input from the field to influence the development of An Post’s high level retail, marketing and product development strategy.
- Collaborating effectively with the retail leadership team to ensure that market share, volume, cost and profit performance targets are achieved.
- Collaborating with colleagues, channels, retail partners and Postmaster colleagues in monitoring and driving channel activity, the performance of product categories and individual product campaigns against the defined plan and initiating changes if necessary to ensure volume and contribution targets are met.
- Overseeing the deliverables of the distribution team to ensure a high performing, engaged and developed team who deliver the required results.
- Demonstrating An Post Values and behaviours in day to day work and address behaviour that supports/conflicts with these values.
Knowledge & Experience
- You will have 10 years+ senior commercial and operational management experience in a competitive, omni-channel retail environment including a distributed store network, contact centre and digital channels along with a relevant degree level qualification, ideally to Masters level, or equivalent relevant business education. Experience in managing a significant P&L and capital investment projects as well as a proven record of delivering profitable growth in retail with evidence of a high level of strategic capability, leadership and commercial business acumen is essential.
- You will have prior experience of working in a franchised and unionised environment and demonstrate strong influencing and partnership skills and the ability to successfully navigate change programmes and drive a commercial mind-set.
- You excel at developing omni-channel capability and retail propositions and putting in place the appropriate capabilities, resources, structures, systems and commercial partnerships/agreements that deliver greatest value and contribution. Demonstrable experience of contributing significant bottom line value and outperformance by implementing tightly controlled and customer centric commercial operations and activities will be evident.
- You have successfully implemented significant change across an extensive physical and digital retail distribution network.
- As an accomplished retail professional you lead with the energy, passion and stamina to inspire your colleagues and business partners to execute this vision every day, continually striving to delight customers, driving customer loyalty and advocacy to a whole new level.
- You will have experience of successfully delivering change across multiple distribution channels, working with union partners and representative bodies, and continuously dictating the pace of evolution within their sector by embracing leading-edge practices and driving a highly-tuned, omni-channel retail distribution model.
- You exude integrity and authority and will naturally inspire credibility and confidence in all stakeholders, through their performance and behaviour. As this is a key appointment the successful applicant will require well-honed influencing skills, coupled with a track record of leadership and management that will be respected by peers and colleagues at all levels.
(The following competencies are critical to the delivery of results and/or to superior performance in this role:)
- Strong Commercial Focus
- Inspiring Leadership
- Strategic Focus
- Change Management
- Influencing & Gaining Commitment
About the Benefits
In addition to a highly competitive remuneration package we offer access to the following:
- An Post Company Medical Scheme
- An Post Pension Scheme
- PRIP Bonus Scheme
- Paid Maternity Leave
- Paid Paternity Leave
- An Post Employee Assistance Programme
- Digital gym with daily scheduled workouts
- Secure on-site bicycle parking & Cycle to Work Scheme
- Tax Saver Travel Pass
- City centre location
How to Apply?
We welcome interested candidates to submit a detailed CV to email@example.com by 5.00pm on Friday 02nd July, 2021.
An Post is an equal opportunity employer, celebrating diversity and championing inclusivity. If you require any reasonable accommodations to assist you in participating in the employee selection process, please simply let us know. We heartily encourage all interested parties to apply!
About An Post
An Post is one of Ireland’s leading organisations, offering financial and postal services as well being a trusted gateway to government services. We are transforming from the old world of traditional letters and cash to the new digital world of e-commerce parcels and financial services.
Our Retail Business already manages more cash than any other organisation in Ireland and we will continue to diversify and grow our financial and retail services for our customers, both online and in person. We aim to re-invent the post office network so every town and major village in Ireland has a modern post office, providing the financial technology services our customers need in a cashless society. We are committed to digital transformation and brand rejuvenation so we can offer customer-centred competitive services.
An Post’s core purpose — to act for the common good, improving the lives of people in Ireland, now and for generations to come — is aligned with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, putting sustainability at the centre of everything we do. Corporate Social Responsibility plays a pivotal role at An Post as we focus on developing long-term sustainability. Diversity and Inclusion are also embedded in our strategy, as we continuously evolve to be representative of our employees and the communities we serve. Read more about our strategy and our progress here today!