Database Administrator – Senior Technical Support Specialist (IT2 level)
An Post Group Technology Solutions (GTS) has responsibility across all An Post business directorates for ensuring that business services chosen by An Post can be effectively implemented and efficiently operated through the use of appropriate Information Technology. Working as part of the Database Administration (DBA) Team, reporting to the DBA Team Leader this position has responsibility for the development and maintenance of An Post’s database estate and associated technologies.
The principal accountabilities/ responsibilities associated with the role include, but are not limited to:
Knowledge and Experience:
- Build, maintain and support An Post’s database estate to include core database installation, configuration and upgrade as well as implementing and maintaining advanced high availability, security and performance tuning.
- Provide expert database resource to new development projects, participating as a pro-active team member throughout all lifecycle stages from feasibility through implementation and post-implementation support.
- Balance the needs of day to day operations and technical support versus project work
- Participate in key periodic operations tasks including high availability and disaster recovery testing, operating system and database patching, database upgrades, migrations, etc.
- Provide comprehensive and clear documentation for all new database builds, redevelopments, enhancements, as well as for standard operational procedures
- Respond to support incidents and requests in a timely and efficient manner
- Participate in on-going development of An Post’s policies, procedures and standards
- Actively participate in discussions and workshops with other DBA Team members, sharing knowledge and experience, so as to continue providing a high quality of service while striving for continuous improvement.
- Strong technical knowledge of Oracle databases and associated technologies
- Strong technical knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server databases and associated technologies
- Good technical knowledge of Microsoft Azure SQL Database environment and associated technologies
- Good technical knowledge of Oracle Cloud Control
- Knowledge of Oracle Exadata
- Knowledge of Oracle GoldenGate
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Windows and Oracle Linux operating systems
- Experience as a DBA working in medium to large organisations supporting a varied catalogue of mission critical databases supporting enterprise scale application systems
- Knowledge of industry standards such as ISO 27001 and PCI DSS an advantage
- Ability to work effectively as a fully participating member of a team
- Hold a BSc in Computer Science or equivalent
- MSc in Computer Science or equivalent would be an advantage
- Oracle or Microsoft professional qualifications would be an advantage
- A minimum of seven years’ technical experience in DBA related functions
(The following competencies are critical to the delivery of results and/or to superior performance in this role)
- Teamwork – ability to work effectively as a fully participating member of a team
- Process Thinking – display a very process driven approach to all tasks
- Problem Solving & Analysis – with strong attention to detail
- Initiative – adaptability, initiative and self-motivation
- Planning & Organising – with ability to manage workloads and expectations
- Customer & Quality Focus –with good interpersonal skills and an ability communicate effectively
About the Benefits
In addition to a highly competitive remuneration package as an An Post employee you will have access to a wide range of benefits including:
- An Post Company Medical Scheme
- Paid Maternity Leave
- Paid Paternity Leave
- An Post Pension Scheme
- On site gym, fitness classes and shower facilities
- Secure on-site bicycle parking
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Tax Saver Travel Pass
- City centre location in walking distance to all major transport services
Please send your CV to email@example.com
with the job title in the subject line by 5.00pm sharp on Monday, 14th December 2020.
An Post is an equal opportunity employer, celebrating diversity and championing inclusivity. If you require any reasonable accommodations to assist you in participating in the employee selection process, please simply let us know. We heartily encourage all interested parties to apply!
About An Post
An Post is one of Ireland’s leading organisations, offering financial and postal services as well being a trusted gateway to government services. We are transforming from the old world of traditional letters and cash to the new digital world of e-commerce parcels and financial services. The An Post Corporate Centre supports and drives the bold strategic moves we’re taking as an enduring, profitable business in the digital world.
An Post’s core purpose — to act for the common good, improving the lives of people in Ireland, now and for generations to come — is aligned with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, putting sustainability at the centre of everything we do.
We are committed to digital transformation enabling us to build customer-centred competitive services. Read more about our strategy as well as our CSR, sustainability and equality initiatives.